Sac Aktun - Grande Cenote and Azteca
approx. 4 km west of Tulum, located on the Coba road
park spots and equipment tables in good shape
approx.18 km measured cave
Dive Site Fee fee: ca. 80 Pesos
Maximum Depth: 18 meter, average 12 meter
Accessibility:20 meter walk. must use steep wooden steps/ ladder to climb down into the Cenote. Boardwalk from Stepas leading to wooden platforms.
upstream, follow the main line, highly decorated everywhere, further gap past on Cenote Ho-Tul und Noname
Cavern Diving: yes
Specials: often crowded with snorklers, locals, cavern diver groups and cave students
- nevertheless excellent cave dive site, traverses( Calimba) and loops to Bosh Chen
- Current seasonal more or less- be aware while planing of complex cave dives!
Watch the Cave diving video Grande Cenote
Aktun Ha - Car Wash:
lots of cavern and cave training here. Be aware of bad vis in the syphon side! Mud!
in the summer the first 2 meters of the surface cloudy, among them is it crystal clear
follow 5 km further the Coba road, pass on Vaca Ha
Dive Site Fee fee: ca. 60 Pesos
approx. 27 meter, many up and downs!
approx.3,3 km measured cave
easy, park spots and equipment tables
Exit: easy, wooden ladder
upstream, follow main line, 1. jump left after passing Luke`s hope direction room of tears
The Main line was attached into 110 meters distance of the entrance. If you don`t know, use a local guide!
Cavern Diving: yes, but no permanent cavern guide line attached
- seasonal fluctuations affect the view in the “entrance lake”
- Syphon site is not so interesting, diver can reduce the vis here against zero!
- Beautiful cartography map by Jim Cook and Tom Young 1989
- most of the cave system is fresh water. The salt water zone begins at 21 meter
New! Luke`s Hope is now very large. Keen Mexicans opend up the entire area and turned it into a swimming pool and cave entrance.
Now you can reach very easily the jump to the room of tears!
Watch the Cave diving video Aktun Ha- Room of Tears
back to Cave Diving
back to hot spots